When Custom Fitting The Grandson …
Length – Length – Length!!
“Hey Dad – can you build Madux some golf clubs for his birthday?” Madux Wright is 9 years old, pretty athletic, and left handed. I COULD just buy him some junior clubs, but building them specifically for him and his size is what a custom fitting expert grandfather should do.
The picture above shows MY driver (44 inches long), and the driver, 7 iron, and putter I built for him. Custom heads, shafts, and grips. My driver is about 8 inches shorter than his.
Here are some of the specifics of how I approached this “grandson build.”
- Madux has a wrist-to-floor measurement of 25 inches. I consulted with good friend Dan Connolly – who developed the True Length Technology process for determining club length. He created a build length chart for someone with a 25 inch wrist-to-floor measurement. I built his clubs using the 26 inch chart. (By the way, my wrist-to-floor measurement is 36 inches….)
- I used very soft flex shafts for the driver and 7 iron.
- The swing weights and MOI values for the clubs are really really light. But Dan suggested to not worry about swingweight for these clubs, not really a fitting parameter for a very young golfer. Length wins.
- Ultimately I will build two more irons for Madux – a pitching wedge and sand wedge – and a 22 degree hybrid. His irons will be a bit unique because I am using the Wishon Sterling Single-Length iron heads. A great way for him to groove consistency for how he will swing his irons.
- And finally, junior sized grips.
We went to Top Golf in Atlanta this past Saturday so he could start learning to love his clubs. Check out this Madux 7 Iron Swing Video – the club sets up beautifully for him. The same for his driver. He looks comfortable swinging the club, and he created a lot of satisfying results. A good start for him!
So now for the proud grandpa custom fitter to finish the rest of his clubs. Length – Length – Length!
I Create EXCEPTIONAL GOLF CLUBS
You Shoot LOWER SCORES!!